Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Faith Club

My sister gave me a book for Christmas, "The Faith Club" that I subsequently read in two days because I couldn't put it down. It is the narrative of three women, a Muslim, a Jew, and a Christian, who try to find the commonality among their religions in an effort to understand themselves and the world a little better especially after the 9 -11 attacks. They did not know each other before beginning, and really, they didn't know themselves very well. The think I liked most about the book was that each of them came to recognize how important their faith in God was to them. No one converted each other, that was never the intent. But they did unexpectedly convert themselves to recognizing the power of God and His hand in their lives.

I thought of this book today when we took Bradley, our youngest child, to the temple to receive his endowment before going on a mission to Ogden, Utah. My faith is deep, but the sacredness of the temple deepens even more and reaffirms to me that Heavenly Father is real, yet knows me and loves me. At one point in the session today, I had an overwhelming feeling that Heavenly Father was amused with our family and loves us because of all our quirks. It made me smile and I felt that He was sharing an inside joke with me.

What a wonderful day to have shared with four of our five children (we missed Arla) and their three spouses. Sometimes it's good for just the adults to get together without the children, as cute as they are! We really had a good time at lunch after the session at a very tasty Mexican restaurant.

2 comments: