Saturday, February 27, 2010

Today was for me

It seems like it's been weeks since I've really had any time to myself, not that everything I've been doing with, and for, others has been unrewarding, because that is not true; however, I enjoyed a fairly carefree day. I spent the morning at the monthly Democratic party meeting - four candidates spoke about their campaigns, but the coolest thing was the last speaker. Barbara Cross was the guest speaker in honor of black history month. Her father was the pastor at the 16th street Baptist Church in Birmingham, and she was best friends with one of the girls that was killed and friends with all of them. One of the things that stood out to me was her admonition to all children to obey their parents and their teachers. She was supposed to go the restroom with her four friends (which is where the dynamite exploded) but her teacher asked her to make a list of students who would be promoting to the next class. Instead of giving excuses or saying she would do it when she got back, she did as asked. It saved her life. Her wallet was recovered from the rubble because her friend had taken it with her.

In the afternoon I cleaned up Bradley's bedroom apartment - a huge mess! But for some reason I enjoyed puttering around in a leisurely manner. I found some things I think he was supposed to take with him. Guess he'll manage!

Then, because the sun was shining and it was some warmer than it has been, I decided to go shopping! I spent four hours moving from store to store, trying on a few clothes, looking for items on sale for the house, just generally enjoying myself! I bought a few things - all good bargains, of course and came home happy. I'm looking forward to Sunday.

2 comments: