Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Who is really reading?

Daily I read people's blogs or their postings on FB, but I don't often respond to them. I enjoy them, many I am touched by, but if someone has already made a similar comment to my thoughts, I usually won't say anything. Of course, one of the reasons I don't is because it feels like I am having a conversation with myself. If I do comment, and I think this is true for most people, no one usually responds directly to my comment, so I wonder if the person who initially posted is even interested in my responses. I don't know if they even read them. On the other hand, I like knowing what's going on in people's lives and I feel more connected to people through blogs and FB. So I don't intend to stop. I'm just musing. I wonder, is this a stop-gap measure for socializing and conversation since our lives are busy, or is this a real benefit in a hectic, but wired society?

5 comments:

  1. Interesting question. I think the answer is basically both. I think that due to the interconnected nature of the world today we are able to maintain more connections with people who are further away. The expectations and demands on our time is higher, too.

    I often get home too late to call people, but since posting and e-mailing is much less intrusive than a phone call, I am ok posting a response (as I am doing now!)

    You are so busy with your thesis, and with work that it is nice to be able to drop you a line without feeling like I am bothering you. Does that mean we don't socialize in person like we used to before you and I both had a FB account and a blog? Not sure, but I don't think so.

    By the way, how is the thesis going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i keep with your blog, mom. sometimes i get on just to look at the pics of natalie and tinker. they make me laugh everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me blogs are not a substitute for personal "real time" interaction but rather an adjunct to it. My kids and extended family have much more busy lives than I do so the blogs actually inform me and bring me up to date in greater detail than I would get through phone conversations. Having said that, I still need and prefer phone calls for that special personal touch--human contact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always read your blog and enjoy it. I think blogs are like an extra window into a person's personality. In a way, I think who you really are comes through even clearer on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitty posted on mine one day and said that she liked reading my blog because it made her feel like she lived next door, instead of half-way across the world in China. I think FB and blogging adds dimension to already established relationships, but rarely replaces other forms of communication. And I read your blog every time you post.

    ReplyDelete