Saturday, March 13, 2010

Southern Tradition

Today we attended the funeral for Melanie's mother in North Augusta, South Carolina. It was lovely and lots of people attended. There is one tradition in the south that I think is extremely touching. When the funeral cortege passes on the way to the cemetery, all the cars coming in the opposite direction stop and wait until everyone has gone by. I remember the first time this happened after we had moved to Pensacola...I couldn't figure out why everyone was stopping. I didn't see or hear a police car, an ambulance or a fire truck. Whoever I was riding with explained the tradition to me. Now there have been times when I have been in a hurry to get someplace and have been irritated that I had to stop and wait. But most of the time, I try to remember that some family has lost a loved one and I can show my respect by stopping for a few minutes.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved that tradition. I find it so moving. I've explained the culture to people in Baltimore and received mixed reviews. Some see no sense in it. It takes up time. Blocks traffic. etc. But most wished the tradition would travel up to that region. It is a way to show our support and love to those who are grieving. Even when we do not know who is following that front car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Josh Reeves funeral in Athens. His death made him a local war hero, and therefore the procession line was probably about a mile long. What I thought was the coolest was people were out with lawn chairs, and had been waiting for the procession to pass by so they could stand and honor josh as the procession went by. It was pretty touching.

    ReplyDelete